Friday 13 April 2007

my violent summer plans

wow... and I thought it was lame when I didn't get the internship in Ottawa... and like don't get me wrong because it was lame, but now I guess it's not so bad because I'm joining the army. the reserves to be specific. I'm definately currently in the process of applying online, but I need to physically test myself so I'm going to a track tommorow morning to run 2.4 km as fast as I can and then I can finish filling out the form. I'm joining the reserves because there isn't a certain time period you have to sign up for except for boot-camp which is probably all that I'm going to do because I want to go back to Trinity next year. boot camp lasts about two and a half months and you're paid $80 a day, which works out to about $6000 at the end. This is probably my most financially viable option for the summer as well, but mostly because it's 7 days a week. So yah, there we go. I'm joining the army. I'll have to cut my hair, but hey, in return I might just get a spiffy uniform. My reasons? my reasons for joining the reserves are many and complicated, but I'll try to sumarize a few of them.

1. it pays good
2. I'll be ripped when I get out of boot-camp
3. I support our troops overseas
4. if I'm ever in politics and I have to make a decision to send our soldiers to war I want to know what I'm doing (although I wont be going overseas or serving in active combat, boot camp is the closest it comes to actually serving overseas)
5. I don't want to do construction for the summer. Being as I didn't get into the internship I was scrambling for work options and my best option was working construction with Remdall... and construction is the bottom of the line... I don't care how many of you are doing it or how many of you dissagree, but construction is a mindless job where all you are doing is grunt physical labour... which isn't to say boot camp wont be worse but at least you get respect.

so those are the basic reasons. although there are plenty of other reasons why I want to enlist (like childhood fears of failure, a desire to die on a battlefield, so I can finally beat up that bully, to impress my father, because girls dig a guy in a uniform, and so that I can spread anti-war literature in the ranks). yah... pretty much... actually only one of those is true, but I'll leave it up to you to decide which one it is. I'm definately going to miss the people that I regularily see, but I wont miss the Kelowna people because I'm probably going to still make it out to Fintry and Paul Lake (yay). cheers y'all, time to get my POLS250essayonpoetry groove on.

zen master

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Either childhood fears of failure or impress your father. I would go with impress your father, though.

William said...

naw, it's neither.