Wednesday 24 October 2007

the happiness parade

So pretty much the legal drinking age in Quebec city is 18. So I definitely went to the pub down the street last night and got drunk. Not totally drunk, just swaying and slight blurring and a bit of lack of the ability to talk very well. So yeah I guess you would classify that as drunk, but not drunk so that I don't remember stuff. I definitely did chronicle the entire experience though so that might have been what kept me remembering everything. there's a few pages of just random writings in my journal, that examined in the light of day are pretty funny, if a little hard to translate because my writing is already bad, but with alcohol in me it's atrocious. Also, one of the reasons I got drunk is because I wanted to see if I could still write when drunk, and how exactly that affects what I write. so here's a song I wrote when I only had 1-1.5 out of 2 pints in me.

The Happiness Parade

Welcome one and all
the tightrope walker tries to say
while jerking back the tears of laughter
clowns in caricture of the queen
will entertain you for a penny
paupers, princes all the same
and if we fail to put a smile upon your face
we'll give you cotton candy entertaaaiinment
for to say

(chorus)
welcome to the happiness parade
monkeys elephants and trains
pulling into town the big band plays
the circus master flips a magic switch
and all throughout the day it never rains
it's the happiness parade

welcome one and all
to the last show of the day
there's tears aplenty if you miss it
but windmills, all the whirligigs
and the wonderful month of May
will bring you smiles all the same
and if nothing in this world can cheer you up
we'll spell you all the numbers backward, it's a gaaame see
for to say

chorus

and if the monkeys start to riot
at the mayors house we'll pay
for we're so full of glee and happiness
that any bill we're glad to foot
but to the animals we'll say
go back and bring the lion train
for if I put my head into the lions mouth
we'll earn a killing just by plaaaying
at a game

chorus

welcome one and all
to virtual reality
it's magic tricks and pick up sticks
and no one here's to blame
and no one in the town they say
and no one at the fair today
if all the children die of laughter
it's smiles killing currents of the braaaiinwaves
for to say

chorus

when the children fall
we'll gather up the people now
dancing cucaracha down the street
and hurling colored bricks through windows
we'll send them to the bars and pray
that when the day is done they'll say
"Oh happiness! Oh happiness! It is enough."
all sadness turns to gaaaiity
in this game

chorus

So it's definitely a pretty confusing a sad song, not really happy at all. Alcohol is not a happy thing and cannot make you happy. Overall I'm not sure if it was worth it, but I won't do it again anyways so there's no need to worry. Anyways, I'm off to get a souvenir from this city and then catch my train.

2 comments:

Heather Mercer said...

Wow, what were you smoking when you wrote that song?

Anonymous said...

I was smoking alcohol... there's this new technique they've developed in Quebec that totally lets you do that... because otherwise it's pretty impossible.