Sunday 21 October 2007

Halifax

hey y'all, I'm definately in Halifax right now at the hostel international and have had many many mad adventures up to this point. back in vancouver, right when I boarded the train I met three guys (Dan, Liam, and Adam) from Victoria doing exactly the same thing as me so we've done a lot stuff together over the past few days. When we got to Toronto (which was freakin huge) we went to the hostel to get some beds (we got in at 9:30) and the hostel lady was like "yah it's all full" and then when we asked if there were any other hostels in Toronto she's like "yah, they're all full.. I phoned them all... they're all full" and we're like "oh crap". Fortunately, however, one of the other passengers (Amy the fairmont employee from jasper) had offered her floor in the royal york? in the worst case scenario. So we phoned her and definately crashed on her floor, but first had a great night on the town. the adventures have been so awesome that here I am going to transcribe some from my journal.

Saturday: 6:45 pm
-I had a small stopover (1hr) in Montreal and am just pulling out of the rail complex. Tony and Dave are in the same car and a few of the other Vancouver to Toronto people as well. Right now I'm seated next to Pascal, the first bona fide Canadian Francophone from Quebec (I'm not sure how to spell that crazy word) I've ever met. Montreal was definately pretty cool and the people were a lot more friendly, it seemed, than in Toronto. Also there were loads of crazy old buildings and sweet statues all around. i will definately have to come back here for a longer time. I did almost get lost in the mall that the train lands in though. My first thought was that I wanted to see the city so I went to get out of the mall. Unfortunately all the signs were in French and it took me ages. Then on the way back in I got hopelessly lost and actually had to ask for directions. It was fun though and I still made it back to the train station on time. The announcer just announced they're playing Ice Age 2 so I'm gonna go check that out.

also here is a definately cool song I wrote one night on the train somewhere in the middle of Canada.

Let's come in from the rain
let's fold up all our umbrellas
and curl up warm in blankets from the train
and if you ask me why I'll say
it's such a sight
yah such a sight
for sore eyes

on through the night the train rolls
in it I rest, my long respite
with a kangaroo princess and Buffalo Bill
searching for diamonds in the sky
no diamonds there, but in our eyes
and I say what a sight
what a sight for sore eyes

sunlight's long gone, we're still here
just a dark room with candlelight
and a soft song playing in my ear
and an old man digging through the years
and I say what a sight
oh I say what a sight
for sore eyes

That's about now folks because I'm off to the Citadel Hill to watch a halifax sunset on the Atlantic ocean. miss you (sortof).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sure you miss us Will, your having too much fun to miss us! ...Dad

Anonymous said...

man, am I jealous. this whole trip sounds totally gnarly.

Anonymous said...

awesome poem, dude

Heather Mercer said...

I'm so envious you went to Montreal! Are you going to PEI?