Friday 7 November 2008

A Mildly Interesting Diversion and a Frustrated Monologue

What I'm listening to today is what the soundtrack would be if my life was a movie. I was reminded earlier today of this gimmicky list that made the rounds a couple of years back, where you would put your itunes on shuffle and the order in which they played would correspond to parts of the soundtrack to the movie of your life. Pretty inane, but I just finished burning all my music onto my computer so I've pulled it up and here's the list.

Opening credits: "These Stones Will Shout" - Raconteurs
Waking up: "A Rush of Blood to the Head" - Coldplay
First day of school: "Symbol in my Driveway" - Jack Johnson
Falling in love: "Pork and Beans" - Weezer
Fight song: "Mother Nature's Son" - The Beatles
Breaking up: "Love is a Miracle" - Delirious
Prom: "One After 909" - The Beatles
Life: "Michelle" - The Beatles
Mental breakdown: "Trip Through Your Wires" - U2
Driving: "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" - Coldplay
Flashback: "King of Fools" - Delirious
Getting back together: "August 30th" - Delirious
Wedding: "Waking the Dead" - Sam Roberts
Birth of a child: "Quiet Storm" - Toby Mac
Final battle: "Consolacao" - Smokey and Miho
Death scene: "November Has Come" - Gorillaz
Funeral song: "Everything I Said" - The Cranberries
End credits: "All Star" - Smash Mouth

Overall it didn't work near as well as the first time I did it. There were quite a few repeat artists (although I do have 150 Beatles songs on my itunes) and there was some music that I simply don't listen to anymore (Smash Mouth, Toby Mac). There also some pretty bad fits like Pork and Beans for falling in love, Mother Natures Son for the fight song, Love is a Miracle for the breakup song, and... Actually almost the whole thing didn't fit. That's really dissapointing. Y'all should give it a shot anyways, it's a mildly interesting diversion.

I had a tough time with my crwr prof today. Throughout the semester we've had to write a number of poems, but they were always pretty specific as to what we could write about, so today when she gave us an assignment to do some freewriting I was pretty happy. Unfortunately I read further and I realized that the catch was I had to pick a specific color and write it on that. There are two reasons why I would be pretty choked about this. Firstly, having done quite a lot of freewriting previously, I've found that when you start freewriting, your thoughts will be generally be pretty jumbled. It's only after you've got that initial confusion out of the way that you eventually settle on what you're writing about. If I started freewriting with a color, I would almost certainly not end with the color. I voiced this concern and stayed after class to discuss it with her, but only minor concessions were made. It wasn't until later, on my way home, that I realized the real reason it jarred with me so much. The real reason I don't like it is that I won't be able to write anything meaningful. The scope of my poem has been confined to someone else's purely physical topic. When I write poetry, I like it to be meaningful, to be able to impact somebody. There is a big difference between poetry written just for the sounds, images, etc. and political poetry. I try to write the latter. There is certainly something to be said for simply practicing your technique, but in this class we have to put a lot of work into our poems, editing multiple times, and I would like to have something to show for that. So I will definately overstep my boundaries on this (I have on all my other poems) and accept the bad mark. All I need in the class to advance is a 60% and it's not worth sacrificing your academic standards just for better marks. So that's that for that.

zen master

6 comments:

stoph said...

Ok, here's my soundtrack:

Opening Credits: "Shall We Dance" - Jane Katz Quartet
Waking Up: "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent" - Choir of York Minster
First Day of School: "Alexithymia" - Anberlin
Falling In Love: "Wet and Rusting" - Menomena
Fight Song: "Good Morning" - The Beatles
Break Up: "I'm So Lonely I Could Cry" - Johnny Cash
Prom: "Sold! To The Nice Rich Man" - Welcome Wagon
Life: "Variation XXIII on a Theme of Paganini" - Sergei Rachmoninov
Mental Breakdown: "Simple X" - Andrew Bird
Driving: "On and On" - Matt Redman
Flashback: "Balcasio" - Balkan Beat Box
Getting Back Together: Leaning On the Everlasting Arms - Blind Boy of Alabama
Wedding: "Let It Be Sung" - Jack Johnson w/ Matt Costa
Birth of a Child: "Supernatural" - dcTalk
Final Battle: "Yesterdays" - Switchfoot
Death Scene: "If I Had A Hammer" - Blind Boys of Alabama
Funeral Song: "A Day in The Life" - The Beatles
Credits: "The Vivian Girls Are Visited In The Night By Saint Dargarius And His Squadron Of Benevolent Butterflies" - Sufjan Stevens

That last song fits my theory on indie music, that the longer the title the shorter the song.
Also, judging by the plotline and soundtrack of this movie,I would definetly not watch it.It's missing Sigur Ros.

Alpha Davies said...

Opening credits: "Get Out Of This Town" by Carrie Underwood
Waking up: "Love Break Me" by Starfield
First day of school: "Waitin' On A Woman" by Brad Paisley
Falling in love: "Sunny Days" by Jars of Clay
Fight song: "Navarra, Spanish Dance For Two Violins & Piano, Op. 25" by Sarasate
Break up: "Scars Are Beautiful" by Paul Brandt
Prom: "Eagle Rider" by Delirious?
Life: "If Tomorrow Never Comes" by Garth Brookes
Mental Breakdown: "You And I" by Michael Buble
Driving: "My Soul Sings" by Delirious?
Flashback: "Wheel Of The World" by Carrie Underwood
Getting back together: "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)" by U2
Wedding: "Go On" by Jack Johnson
Birth of a child: "Miss Sarajevo" by U2
Final battle: "We Shall Be Free" by Garth Brookes
Death scene: "The Fever" by Garth Brookes
Funeral scene: "Amazing Grace [Live]" by Tree63
Credits: "A Foggy Day (In London Town)" by Michael Buble

all in all a crappy soundtrack. except for the death scene song. great song. so good. perfect.

William said...

"Sunny Days" for falling in love is a pretty good fit.

andrewkoole said...

I laughed pretty hard at that. I'd say the best fit is "November has come" for the death scene. good name for a death scene. either that or the smash mouth for the ending credits. hilarious. that one made me laugh the most. I think I'll try it.

andrewkoole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
andrewkoole said...

Opening credits – Yours to Keep – Albert Hammond Jr.
Waking up – Coax Me – Sloan
First day of school – Red Deer Deathtrap Demo – Alpha Beta Crayon
Falling in love - Johnathon Fisk - Spoon
Fight song - In Repair - John Mayer
Breaking up - I Love You More Than Words Can Say - Otis Redding
Prom - Who Will Cut Your Cut Your Grass When I'm Gone? - the Magician
Life - Too Many - Sloan
Mental Breakdown - Don't Mess With Cupid - Otis Redding
Driving - Morning Bell/Amnesiac - Radiohead
Flashback - Handshake Drugs - Wilco
Getting Back Together - How to Nurse a Bruised Ego (Back to Health) - Viva Voce
Wedding - Double Trouble - Roots feat. Mos Def
Birth of a child - I'm Feeling Tuff - Graves
Final battle - 101 - Albert Hammond Jr.
Death scene - All You Deliver - Jose Gonzalez
Funeral song - Can I Come - Amanda Falk
Ending Credits - All Good Naysayers, Speak Up!Or Forever Hold Your Peace! - Sufjan Stevens.

I'd have to say I was doing alright until that second to last one. You probably don't know it, but yuck. Especially for something as musical as a funeral. Good to see some friends music make the cut though. That was a nice touch, itunes.

oh, and the next song to play is nothing less than the star wars theme. one away my friends, one song away. damn.