Friday 21 November 2008

Vesuvius

This wasn't one of the rejected poems, but it was given a terrible mark because apparently it didn't follow the criteria close enough. I'm okay with that. (it's also pretty bleak and almost verging on nihilism).

pipesmokingprofessor

Vesuvius
I'm raked over the hot loud mouth of Vesuvius
old man spewing words of senile wisdom
"The world is going to end tommorow Pompeii"
"Punk music is cyanide filling your veins"
as I turn around to protest, he holds high his sign
telling me I'm sinking this ship, but i feel different
and yell back "don't bring me down old man"
he rubs a gumstain with his toe
and becomes melted down into the pavement
walked on by a thousand feet, after being spat out
and after all, i'm just another one of these

Where I'm going is a place of seizure lights
people screaming on a low stage
closer now than ever before, it seems
we will jostle and mosh, fighting for a piece of them
rats trying to escape a flooding sewer
weeds fighting for sunlight in a crowded pond

The old man will not dissuade me
I will have my fix
inject my poison in full knowledge
his drugs are his homemade clean white signs
he's a little child clutching his blanket or favorite toy
at least I know who I am

1 comment:

andrewkoole said...

Just curious, what was the criteria that you didn't follow closely enough?

I love the ending.