Saturday 29 November 2008

Ashoka

Listening to Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire

Last post I was listening to a really great song, Danger! High Voltage, and when it was done I put up the hyperlink to the video of it, which I unfortunately only barely glanced at. So then when I finally do watch the video and realize I need to change the link because it's pretty sketchy, I turn right around and post the most sketchy sounding song I can find. I mean what's with that. No, it truly is a good song and a not sketchy video (as well as being a really good band). My only initial complaint was that the main riff sounds strikingly similar to the one from Soundgarden's "Mind Riot", but I think that's just because he uses the same sound and manages to capture the same vibe, so not bad.
I'm now officially finished with my first class. (dropping out of philosophy of religion halfway through doesn't count) I handed in the rest of my poems for creative writing and had a public reading and some brownies that the prof made. All I'm waiting for now is my final marks (which have to be above 60% in order for me to advance to the next creative writing class). I also won the award for the student who was most likely to be late. A very dubious honor. Here's one of the poems that I handed in on Thursday. It's about a really great indian restaurant in Langley.

soundmime

Ashoka

It's sense of smell that draws you in
To find a crowded restaurant
And what you want you know
But finding chicken biryani
Is hard when you don't know the words
Of what your nose descries

Paper thin papadums for appetizer
Menu tells you what you want
It's butter chicken isn't it
The only one you understood

There are other choices now
If you're so inclined
Floury naan bread fills you up
Chunky biryani, cautioned to be hot

Eating with your hands tastes better
Feel every grain of rice in sauce
And every tender chunk of chicken
Disintegrating, butter melting
Curry yellow, in your mouth

Wash your hands in cold water
And return for pungent anise
Biryani in a box, waiting at the door
Lunch tommorow or the next
Or just when you get home

No comments: