Friday 29 February 2008

die murmeltiere kommen

Listening to Brother Iz - Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World

I hereby declare that winter has been defeated, Aslan is on the move, it's a rocket summer, die murmeltiere kommen. I got off of work today, changed, and walked straight out into this amazing beautiful sunny day with a warm breeze stirring the trees and blowing the last traces of winter away. As I walked back to Aarons house I glanced up at the once snow-covered Giants Head and was surprised to see only patches of snow, as if it was winters last stand and it was dying. Death dies inevitably. It was as if God was reminding us all of the resurection, a metaphor on a colossal scale. Then I walked into the bookstore to buy a comic before the bookstore closed and as I looked around, Brother Iz came on the radio with this medley and the storekeeper opened the door and the wild wind whipped leaves from the sunny street into the store and I stood there and took it in and after I bought my comic I walked back out and strolled down the street, holding my jacket in one hand because it was too hot out to wear it. What a wonderful world. (If you didn't get the rocket summer reference, go get Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles and read the first chapter)

fool sitting here typing

3 comments:

J said...

It's been such a long while since I read that work of Bradbury's!

The Summer Bum said...

You are a gigantic comic reading nerd. But im with you on the beautiful day bit This is an awesome place too be. and it only gets better. we will probably need sunscreen to work outdoors by april.

Anonymous said...

Will, you really need to read "Dandelion Wine." It's the perfect season for reading it.