Wednesday 5 March 2008

In Limbo with Dylan

Listening to - Maggie's Farm (Bob Dylan)

So I've been having myself a pity party, griping about how much it sucks working for Tim Hortons and about how crappy my manager is and so on and I was planning on finding a job in Kelowna and leaving, but then suddenly my manager is replaced by a really solid person who it would be great to work for and I'm caught flat-footed, it was like a slap in the face it was so quick and because my manager was the main reason why I was planning on leaving and now I don't have a great excuse to leave, but I still want to leave... I just can't think of a good enough reason. Maggie's Farm has pretty much been my anthem the last few days because it fit so well to my situation, but now the rules are changed and I really don't know what to do. I feel like Mr. Jones...

Listening to - Ballad of a Thin man (Bob Dylan)

I was thinking a while back about working at Tim Hortons and the fact that I was no longer being challenged in my work. For the first week it was challenging just learing the ropes and how things worked, but then I had pretty much mastered most of what I had to do and there was no room for expansion and then it just got boring because I wasn't learning and I wasn't being challenged, mentally or physically, I think the only way I was being challenged was learning how to deal with crappy people. In pretty much every job you will encounter and deal with crappy people, but when it is the only challenge in your job and when you have to take the crap they deal out without reacting (which I really have a hard time doing (case in point, losing it with my manager and telling her how crappy she was being)) then something's wrong with the whole situation. I want a job where A: I'm being challenged, and B: there's a healthy amount of respect going around. Tim Hortons, to date, hasn't really been that job at all. So we will see, if having a new manager changes the atmosphere and changes the way the job works, then I may just stick around, but most likely I will be gone by the end of the month... I am a rambler after all.

Park Ranger

No comments: