Wednesday 20 May 2009

Journey vol. 2

Listening to Plants and Animals

I was trying to explain indie music to my Dad and I played a couple of indie songs for him, rationalizing that it was simply to explain something. Of course then I realized that Canada should have a burgeoning indie scene of it's own. And apparently it does, so I've started exploring the Canadian indie music scene. After going through a few artists I've stumbled upon Plants and Animals, a band that I can appreciate and, hopefully, so can my dad (at least something he hopefully won't actively dislike). It's an odd criteria to meet, but the world of indie is one of reviving lost art forms so it's not entirely out of place. [at this point the author gets told that he's polluting the computer].

Listening to The Michael Parks (formerly Detective Kalita)

After some long searching I managed to assemble a few indie artists that looked quite promising. Most awesome is Detective Kalita (now The Michael Parks). they're surprisingly under the radar for being such a good indie band. Last night, along with a couple of classic Star Trek episodes, we watched Igor with John Cusack. The movie was surprisingly good with a solid blend of offbeat humor and a really original plot. Steve Buscemi played an indestructible rabbit and along with a talking brain in a jar named Brian provided most of the laugh out loud comedy. John Cusack is a lot more subtle though, while not actively funny himself, he works well in a comedy environment, if you've ever seen Hi-Fidelity or some of his earlier fare you'll know what I mean. Igor is a mostly overlooked gem and it's well worth a watch. Anyways, the day is wasting away and I'm going to go adventuring. Keep it pregnant people.
pipe smoking professor

2 comments:

stoph said...

I love plants and animals.

Alpha Davies said...

igor was a dumb movie