Sunday 14 January 2007

ohooooyablinmflam

happiness is a good book and a comfy chair. last semester I extended my book-borrowing madness out to the Trinity library and incurred hundreds of dollars in fines due to late and lost books. literally hundreds. it went down to like $43 or something after I finally returned the books because that meant that I didn't have to pay the lost fee, but still that's the most library fines I have ever had at one time. I think at the Burnaby library I had a fine somewhere in the forties and at the Vancouver library somewhere in the fifties, but the Trinity library beat both of my records. I don't remember the exact sum, but I do know it was somewhere over $200 and probably over $300. I mean I had the freakin complete works of Richard Hooker out along with the rest. Anyways, needless to say I don't want to pay the $23 that I would need to pay to take out books again so this semester I'm seriously going to reform and not get any more library fines... because I can't... but anyways this semester is going to be pretty freakin awesome for books anyways because for some reason I have to read an inordinate amount of books for the classes I'm taking. In ENGL104 I'm going to read A Streetcar Named Desire, The Taming of the Shrew, Orbisan, Haroun and the Sea of Stories, and The Life of Pi. Also for POLS250 I have to read Plato's Republic, Augustine's City of God, and four different texts on Socrates; including Aristophanes' Clouds and Plato's Symposium. For PHIL106 I have to read Sophie's World and for the rest of my classes I'm just reading a bunch of purely academic things. So I'm pretty excited... not about the academic stuff, but about the books like the republic and the city of God and the novels and plays and stuff. The only book that it's going to suck trying to read it is Sophies World.. ya... you should see the cover.. the cover gives everything away. I'm definately going to want to sell that book once I'm done with it.. anyways y'all should head out and pick up some of those books because I'm fairly sure most of them are going to be awesome. Actually I had this sweet booklist going on on my msn space of books that I've read that are awesome and that everyone should read (except books like 1984 by George Orwell which I would only recommend to people with strong constitutions), so pretty much I'm going to see if I can make up a new booklist for this blog with most of the books on the old list and some new awesome additions. be prepared to have your mind blown if you read some of these books though. most truly great books will blow your mind... blow your mind... why does that sound like such a wierd phrase when you say it enough.. ya nevermind, if you say any word or phrase enough times it will gradually lose all meaning and become just this garbled mass of sounds. like now blow your mind doesn't even make sense to me anymore and it's degenerated to ohooooyablinmflam or something in my mind. I'll bet you if you said non-words like ohooooyablinmflam enough they would gradually make sense to you as actual words in your mind. for instance, ohooooyablinmflam could gradually take on the meaning or sound or whatever of "let's go for ice-cream sodas". and that could get seriously sketchy seriously fast. for instance imagine there's this girl that I know that has said "blow your mind" enough times in quick succession that it degenerated to ohooooyablinmflam and then she said it even more and it regenerated to "let's go for ice-cream sodas", and then one day she comes up to me and asks me what this blog is going to do if she reads it so I'm like "blow your mind", but she translates that as "let's go for ice-cream sodas" and then she thinks I invited her out on some cutesy 50's date and simply gets the wrong idea about me entirely. and then I'd be in some deep crap. thankfully I don't know too many girls who go around saying "blow your mind" every couple of seconds so I'm not in much danger of being roped into a cutesy 50's date with some random person. ya... that's as much as my mind can take for one sitting...
pieshmochillidressier

(see it's already starting - even your eyes are screwed up now)

5 comments:

rowan said...

Huh. Why do you incur such large library fines? You don't explain that. From your arduous language I would guess that you might be the type that returns them on time.

William said...

unfortunately I have a combination affliction of a love for books and a bad memory.

stoph said...

Dude, you'll love "Life of Pi." I just finished it. it truly blows the mind.

Anonymous said...

you should try "spaghetti", it works like a charm...
-alpha-

stoph said...

yo will, i thought our gingerbread houses were sweet this year...check this out.

http://missedmanners.wordpress.com/2007/01/12/what-i-did-over-christmas-vacation/