Wednesday 18 April 2012

Notes from Under a Bare Pine

If I must make one post in the year 2012, I suppose it makes sense that it would be in the heart of paper writing season; right where I have no business writing anything extraneous but have the greatest desire to do so.

Listening to Codeine by Trampled by Turtles

It's nothing to do with the Buffy St. Marie song, of which The Litter did an incomparable cover, but Trampled by Turtles is putting down some sweet bluegrass vibes here.
The semester is going; it evaporates and I am left with the dross of all the things I didn't do and the refuse from all the things I did.
Hope is persistent. It cannot be ignored.

Listening to First Love by Emmy the Great

It isn't Leonard Cohen, but it somehow escapes being simply derivative. This song exists on a different plane from that abominable pastiche of Sweet Home Alabama from He-who-shall-not-be-named.
Newness enters the world and I couldn't tell you how. Bhabha claims it's all hybridity; that we are made new as we encounter the other. I'm inclined to agree, but the places that this idea leads to; the places I am led to by hybridity, identity as negotiated, losing a progressive view of history (with our comforting origin and telos), and knowing otherness in proximity. These are frightening and beautiful. (what's wrong with a few sentence fragments here and there; they'll be resolved eventually (it really just serves to build tension))

Listening to If I Wanted Someone by Dawes

If I wanted someone? Want? Desire is fickle. I'm not sure what I want, but this sentiment rings with some truth in my ears.
And suddenly we are paralyzed. We go from melting glaciers to falling, exhausted, under a bare pine. We had the world coursing in our veins for the shortest time, climbing through the substance of nothingness with blinding voracity. And we are muted, lost in a hollow of snow. Silent and brooding before a mountain that is stronger than we are. But hope is persistent, it cannot be ignored.

Will

No comments: