Thursday 25 March 2010

Crickophany

Listening to: Meaghan Smith - The Cricket's Orchestra
Weezer - Raditude

I've been reading Lewis Carroll lately. I started with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and then I finished that off with Through the Looking Glass. Then I read through the more serious Sylvie and Bruno and have just started reading Sylvie and Bruno Concluded. The Alice books were similar to what I expected (although they were a lot darker than I thought), but Sylvie and Bruno is a different thing entirely. The preface to part I was probably the best preface I've ever read, with Carroll delving into issues of mass-produced literature and producing original ideas, the urgency with which we should spend our time, ideas for projects he didn't think he would have time in his life to accomplish and hopes that others can, problems with "hunting as sport", and of course a bit of an introduction to the work at hand. If you never read Sylvie and Bruno itself, I would recommend that you read the preface.

I've been listening to Meaghan Smith lately (Except for a couple of songs, I wasn't that impressed by Weezer's Raditude). I first heard one of her songs in the movie 500 Days of Summer, where she did a cover of the Pixies "Here Comes Your Man". I didn't think about it much at the time, but then I heard the song when I was in the collegium and realized that it was a darn good cover of a Pixies song, and being as the Pixies aren't the kind of band I would ever think of somebody covering, I thought I would check the artist out. Her music has a super-chill indie feel, mixing a fifties pop sound with synthetic beats and a bevy of unique instruments. It's pretty low-impact stuff, all things considered, but it is a pleasant diversion and good background study music.

Anyways, midterms are fully done, as of this morning, and I'm looking forward to final papers, final projects, and finals. I [obviously] haven't blogged much this semester, but this is partly due to the fact that I'm so close in proximity to the bulk of the people I know, enabling face-to-face conversation as the preferred method of communication. Having said that, I'm saving up some real meat-and-potatoes material for my next post. The next post will also be the first to not be imported directly to facebook. The social networking scene is just not the right environment for a blog to flourish. Til the next poetry-infused blog post, keep it pregnant people.

PipeSmokingProfessor

1 comment:

Alpha Davies said...

Raditude. also not what i expected unfortunately, but i still enjoy it. good job on finishing your midterms bro! i'll see you next week, and i look forward to reading your epic poetry..:)