Saturday 3 March 2007

no ecky thump because of gravity

yes I suppose it has been a while... but i have school... and i'm tired... now... so there's really no point to this entry except that I really felt like blogging and I just bought a new album... -dramatic pause-... -heavens open and a bright light shines down through the clouds-... -etheral music playing-... -boom it's all sucked into the incredible vortex of Jon Foreman's voice... and fingers... because he needs fingers to write lyrics like "train the monkeys on my back to fight/ let it start tonight"-... so pretty much I bought the new switchfoot album, "Oh! Gravity", and it rocks pretty hard. as in like there's some intense stuff verging on punk and some REM esque tunes, which combines with some killer hooks and savage guitars and Foreman's screaming vocals and their wierdest lyrics yet to make into a pretty solid album. I definately knew I would like it when I heard the dissonant 3 second piano interlude halfway through the first track. still, despite it rocking pretty freaking hard, it's not quite as good as their last album, yet still better than beautiful letdown (I can never remember the name of that album in between this one and beautiful letdown, but it's their best album). You should definately go out and buy it. now. I had a wierd experience with like heavy rock and punk and like alternative... whatever you label it... just like heavy music. anyways it was the white stripes and the ramones... both killer bands... but I was sitting doing a paper on this computer and in the next room they were watching "a good year" with russel crow (as in the movie had russel crow in it, he wasn't watching it with them or anything) and I couldn't concentrate on my homework so i stuck in my headphones and cranked up the white stripes-white blood cells, which is an awesome album and like it was playing loud enough to completely drown out the movie and it actually helped me study... like seriously. a few times i caught myself typing along with the beat (what little there is in the white stripes) and like then I started on a live ramones album, but that didn't work quite as well... but I think heavy intense music really helps you do homework. like scratch all that crap about classical music making you smarter, i can never get anything done when I'm listening to classical music. there's a time for everything... speaking of time, the white stripes are putting out a new album (ya, I don't know how that's connected to time either), and it's called "Icky Thump". needless to say I am beside myself with joy because, although I thought the Raconteurs were even better, the white stripes still hold a special place in my heart and Jack White is still one of the insanest guitarists of our generation (he just got on the rolling stones new guitar gods top 20 list). go check out one of his blue veins solos if you don't believe me, the man is a genius. Meg was quoted as saying that it actually was "musical in nature" and "finished" and mumbling "good".. so that's a wierd twist, a musical white stripes album. yay, now i can really spend all my money on music. cheers folks, pizza calls.
park ranger

No comments: