Wednesday 17 September 2008

X bites the dust

So the day before yesterday Sam f-books me about paintballing, and he asks me about the X-tra Cab. I take a day to respond, and yesterday morning I reply that it's doing well and there are no problems with it. Nice Will, real nice. So after my last class of the day I start it up and everything is tickety-boo. I notice that I've traveled a ridiculous amount on $20 worth of fuel, so I decide to tank up. When I'm at the pump, however, my resolve weakens at the thought of paying $1.47/litre and I decide to put only $20 in again. Good thing. I sit in the parking lot for a while, eating my disgusting white spot burger and fries, and when I pull out there is a strong scent of gas. However, I'm in a gas station and I just put gas in X, so it makes sense. A ways down the road, X just isn't driving quite right, the smell of gas is still present, and i have a bad feeling. However, I somehow made it all the way to the Kwantlen campus in Langley. I stop to buy a textbook at the bookstore there and when I get back to X I realize that there's a trail of gas running behind it and a little puddle sitting under the passenger side. Not good. I don't have any mechanical skills, or even any tools, so I do my best to try and find out where the leak is coming from. I can't really find it. This sucks. From there it's only 22 km to my house so I figure I can make it back and find out what's wrong once I'm there. Not true. I make it about as far as 216th and Fraser Highway before my plans really collapse. X is having serious trouble so I stop at the gas station to see what's wrong with it. I put some oil in, even though there's an 'acceptable' amount already in there. Still the same. Then I decide that there's really nothing for it but to try and make it home in any shape. I make it as far as the gas station across the street. X is having problems with throttle control, and those are problems I'm not qualified to treat. Fortunately I have the number of Clover Towing in my wallet from my last adventure in Langley. X gets towed. I am sad. I have to take the bus this morning and turn up half an hour late for class. It's like my life has been a constant downward spiral ever since Sam asked me how X was doing. People say I'm lucky, I say 'if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all'.

Park Ranger

4 comments:

Alpha Davies said...

oh Will! that's so sad about X! i feel your pain, i can feel Retta dying on me little by little. i think i'll sell while she still runs and buy something better.
where did X get towed to?
btw, do you go to the Surrey or Langley campus of Kwantlen? cuz i've been telling people Surrey.....
love!

William said...

X got towed to my house in Aldergrove and I'm gong mostly to the Surrey campus, but one class in langley. Btw, when are we going to do lotr marathon.

the Mom said...

O Will, I was feeling sad for you that your x cab died on you but then I read your blog and I laughed so hard I almost cried. What a writer you are! I guess that means we won't see you but I hope you can make it for Thanksgiving - maybe someone can pick you up.

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of a 1959 vauxhall I used to own. First the column gearshifter broke off, so I had to jam it in and shift not as often as I normally would have. Because of this the clutch started to go. Then I had problems with the battery/starter. More than 50 percent of the lights didn't work and the wipers only worked when you leaned out the window and operated them by hand. I counted 3 layers of cords showing on my bald tires. The final straw came when it over-heated and caught fire. Take hope however, bad things only happen in 3's. Dad