Monday 21 July 2008

Lamp

I broke my lava lamp. In the cluttered room I stumbled, struggling with a puffy sleeping bag and knocked it off the desk. It happened instantly, there was no bullet time, no beautiful memories of hours spent gazing into its limitless depths and pondering the mysteries of the universe, no last moment grasp at its falling, lifeless, beauty. There was no time. One moment it was standing like a resolute sentinel, guarding the deskspace, and the next it was lying broken on the floor, never again to shine. I knelt as best as I could, encumbered by my half-cast, to mourn the loss, but necessity drove me onwards. I hobbled up the stairs, a feat which I was hesitant to repeat as I had done it only moments before. With towels and rags I dried its clear blood from the ground and swept its broken body and organs into an empty candy bag. I will miss you lava lamp... always.

pipe smoking professor

pulsing ruby jar
no more heat in your body
I lament your death

3 comments:

Heather Mercer said...

All that for a lava lamp? But seriously, i understand the grief over beautiful things you've shared moments with. For example, that enormous red glass bell i have on my windowsill. The many hours I have spent trying to see the world through it.....

Alpha Davies said...

WILL!!! you can't mean that lava lamp that was in Sam and Yvonne's basement!?? tragic!!

the Mom said...

I have really had a good chuckle. I'm so looking forward to seeing you again. This is a typical 'mom' comment but I can't help it.....I'm looking forward to feeding and taking care of you at Paul Lake.