Wednesday 9 April 2008

pulp non-fiction

listening to paper planes by MIA

I just woke from a drooling nap episode. I woke up when the light was turned off by Amy. I guess I just fell asleep on my bed because i was so tired, which doesn't make sense because we only had a half day of work today. Just before I crashed I was reading Douglas Adams' Long Dark Teatime of the Soul, the sequel to Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. I think that's what put me to sleep. Not because the book wasn't great, because it's a really great book, but because it was a book. I never used to have this problem, I was a voracious reader, but soon after I left university to take a year off I found that I was unable to read for more than a few minutes without becoming extremely drowsy. I've still managed to push my way through some great books, but it has become increasingly difficult to do so. Partially I blame this on the fact that during university I read books because I had to and I generally read them extremely late at night. I figure that whenever I pick up a book now, my subconcious automatically associates that with sleeping. The only other explanation is that the pages of books contain a powerful aphrodisiac, our reaction to it being latent at birth but activated through a complicated series of events. Before I was reading I watched the movie Ella Enchanted with Anne Hathaway, a really odd film that didn't make a lot of sense and aped a lot of other more successful and overall better films, but had a decent premise and actually came out alright in the end (not in the sense that it had a happy ending because all fairy tales but Pan's Labyrinth have happy endings (though Pan's Labyrinth had one of the best and most beautiful endings ever... period.), but that it actually had a decent climax and wizard of Oz like twist that made you think... a bit.. for a few seconds...). The reason I was lounging about and doing leisure activities in the middle of the day was that we only had a half day of work today, just some loose ends that needed tying up. We finished around noon. in the intervening time I got a truck.

Zen Master

4 comments:

Alpha Davies said...

i can't believe you watched Ella Enchanted.

stoph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

wait, wait, ...you got a truck?

Rik no Blog said...

Faria sentido se eu entendesse!